Honda Freed Singapore
The forum of the Freeders
Welcome on the Honda Freed Singapore.

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member or join our community if you're not yet....

Enjoy this forum.

recall - part 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

recall - part 2

Post by sevenseaters on Wed 13 Apr 2011, 11:38 am

I went to appointed workshop for the recall issue last saturday 9 April 2011.

Came to my surprise that it resulted the "very-fruitful" technical experience less than 10 MINUTES!!!! Shocked scratch
btw, i was with the car and mechanic all long the way during the "observation/inspection"

These were the actions that technician did upon my arrival on the workshop:
1. Car went in.
2. Registration/formality administration to verify the invitation letter.
3. Mechanic started the engine.
4. Opened engine boot, flashed light here and there, "LISTENED" to the engine sound while feedback commented to me "your car is brand new huh??"
(this i assume because the mechanic was amazed with my engine bay, as i always maintain and normally clean the engine bay:P)
5. Opened and pulled out the engine oil lid, smell it, wiped it off, put it back.
6. Opened and pulled out the transmission oil lid, smell it, wiped it off, put it back.
7. Went to the cabin, seated in the driving seat while "observing" the odometer.
8. Pressed the gas for a moment, idling the gas in high RPM and released back to normal.
9. Backed to engine boot, saw here and there and............ THAT'S IT!!! affraid affraid affraid scratch scratch scratch

Tech: "no faulty, no need to replace anything"
me: "from where you know my parts needs not to be replaced?"
Tech: "from the sound of the engine and (while he showed me the odometer) the RPM is stable, no "up" and "down", so means everything is ok"
me: "BUT, i want to know, what is the rocker arm and lost motion spring"
Tech showed me the "open engine" of one of the car in the workshop and showed me the parts
me: "BUT i thought it has to be replaced that's why the reason on the recall?"
Tech: "There is no need to replace, if i replace, i have to open your engine like this (while showing again the other car that the engine had been opened)" (???)

after that, yaya papaya, felt frustrated with the explanation from the mechanic, i went to the manager/owner of the workshop.
She also unable to confirmed me whether or not to replace the parts as she did not receive "instruction" from my PI to replace any parts.
For the good will and trust on the workshop, i tried to calm down for not getting irritated, i re-explained to her again that it supposed to have technical observation not only "visual" observation.

and yet, i signed the satisfactory letter for the reports to LTA with additional notes that no parts have been replaced.

And today 13/4/11, i just logged in an open letter to the owner of my PI, for the above concern and findings, and waiting his reply.
And also, i called the original importer ISTTrading, and he confirmed me nothing to be worried on the recall parts as
1. NOT ALL RECALL products needs to have parts replacement.
2. He had given "instruction" to his authorized workshop on checking the parts and
3. He also said ISST will always on customer's side on having the warranty.
scratch scratch scratch

btw, below notes herewith made me really understand on what is the real issue on the recall product on Honda Freed.
Taken and translated from Honda Indonesia.

....It will replace a component called a lost motion spring" for engines in the three Honda brands produced between 2008 and 2010.

The component serves as link to the rocker arm when the car engine runs at low rpms.

Honda said it had found evidence that the parts were vulnerable to breakage, which could result in high surface pressure between the lost-motion-spring retainers and rocker arm slippers and could result in the broken spring coming into contact with other moving parts within the cylinder head, initially producing noise, and in the worst case causing the engine to stall. There have been 15 cases associated with damage to these components in Indonesia, but no reports of accidents or injuries, Honda said.

Few things i learnt, as PI's customer and 1st time car buyer in SG:
1. You simply have to enjoy the ride WITHOUT worrying much on the recall issue.
2. Do not expect too much, as it is part of the business "risk" in the sense that you dare to buy car in SG from PI, means you dare to take the risk on all matters that involve in it.
3. Be very gentle and observant with your lovely Freed, as it will serve you right as well. (gentle=well maintained and properly use it)
If you find any "unusual noise" from the engine, DO NOT WAIT, go straight to the workshop for check up.
4. Always remember, car is always tied to "tear and wear", as there is no perfect products.

That experience in first place worried me so much...
but, i have to choose not to worry as i can simply enjoy my ride cheers

Why worry?
There will be laughter after pain...
There will be sunshine after rain...
These things are gonna be the same (repeated again and again)
So why worry now?
Just enjoy the life and our lovely Freed, ok?

la vita e bella, life is beautiful...
cheers

Back to top Go down

Re: recall - part 2

Post by Satyr on Wed 13 Apr 2011, 10:09 pm

Wow, sounds like a real saga sevenseaters! Shocked

I had my Freed taken care of on Monday. My dealer told me it was a 5 hour process to replace the part. They were very straight-forward and didn't hesitate to totally take care of the problem.

The only down side for me was, I had to drop off my Freed on Sunday and pick it up on Monday. They gave me a courtesy car to use but it was a new Honda Life!!! After driving that car for a day, it made me really appreciate my Freed so much more!

Satyr

Back to top Go down

Post by DADDYCOOL on Thu 14 Apr 2011, 1:26 am

eh bro satyr,

wats not good bout the Honda Life? scratch

looks kinda cutsey to me! pig

underpowered? small cabin? confused

do enlighten us!
sunny

DADDYCOOL

Back to top Go down

Post by sevenseaters on Thu 14 Apr 2011, 5:46 am

Bro satyr, yes it was indeed fruitful saga cheers as i already expected the risk as buyer in the car market system here, i should not blame it to others.

Rather than it is much better to see from different perspective that i HAVE TO enjoy my ride as much as i can.

Btw our first family car back in Jakarta was Honda Life 80's it still carry many good old memories with the car. Honda Life is one of the classy generation that have been re-produced by Honda.

Back to top Go down

Post by hooray_fun on Thu 14 Apr 2011, 6:37 am

Bro satyr wat is yr mileage when sending for recall checks?
hooray_fun

Back to top Go down

Post by nickf601 on Thu 14 Apr 2011, 7:28 am

Satyr wrote:Wow, sounds like a real saga sevenseaters! Shocked

I had my Freed taken care of on Monday. My dealer told me it was a 5 hour process to replace the part. They were very straight-forward and didn't hesitate to totally take care of the problem.

The only down side for me was, I had to drop off my Freed on Sunday and pick it up on Monday. They gave me a courtesy car to use but it was a new Honda Life!!! After driving that car for a day, it made me really appreciate my Freed so much more!

SERVICE IS NO 1 IN JAPAN bounce EXCELLENT
nickf601

Back to top Go down

Post by nickf601 on Thu 14 Apr 2011, 7:31 am

THANKS sevenseaters for your detail reporting... learnt more about this recall
nickf601

Back to top Go down

Post by DADDYCOOL on Thu 14 Apr 2011, 8:56 am

bro chris, you forgot to ask the most crucial question...

,,, if anything were to happen...

... whose asses can you SUE?!!!
lol!

DADDYCOOL

Back to top Go down

Post by JazzGD1 on Thu 14 Apr 2011, 10:02 am

After reading, that sound like there was somethings between the workshop & importer with Japan Honda.... Suspect

LTA insturted PI to takecare of those recall, and is confirm by Honda fcatory, for this recall is to check and replace the "Rocket Arm Spring" if needed. This whole process take at least 1/2 day, and to what I understand all $$$$$$ thay can get it claim from the Honda Factory.
So if PI and workshop can minimince the jobs process, why not? and thay just need to get the owner signed on the satisfactory letter for LTA... jobs done, $$$$$ come come... What a Face

This Factory recall is to check and replace the Spring of the rocket arm if needed, a standed process need to open up the engine head cover to curry out the jobs, not just ram the gas hear the the engine sound... wtf.

"from the sound of the engine and (while he showed me the odometer) the RPM is stable, no "up" and "down" come on, if this happen that are because of the "LAMBA" sensor issue NOT Rocket Arm Spring.
"smell it, wiped it off, put it back" wtf, what got to do with the smell of the engine & transmission oil got to do with Rocket Arm...

For bro edlim1 for his case he sent in his car but without replacement, but at least that workshop did the checking and tuning process... That I can come to agree.

http://i64.servimg.com/u/f64/16/34/34/69/rocer_11.jpg

http://i64.servimg.com/u/f64/16/34/34/69/rocker10.jpg

Back to top Go down

Post by hooray_fun on Thu 14 Apr 2011, 10:37 am

Where to complain huh...... Must establish a list of checklist...... Cannot just depend on look see look..... Problem solve.... Worse if make them angry they anyhow change.... Can we petition to LTA ..... ??????
hooray_fun

Back to top Go down

Post by DADDYCOOL on Thu 14 Apr 2011, 12:16 pm

btw the pic of Honda Life makes our FREED looks so Macho! farao
PS: or izzit due to the colour? geek

DADDYCOOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Satyr on Fri 15 Apr 2011, 9:26 pm

wasted wrote:eh bro satyr,

wats not good bout the Honda Life? scratch

looks kinda cutsey to me! pig

underpowered? small cabin? confused

do enlighten us!
sunny

Mostly it was very under-powered and the steering felt very heavy compared to our lovely Freed's steering.
The cabin was also very narrow but it's height made it feel a bit more spacious.

hooray_fun wrote:Bro satyr wat is yr mileage when sending for recall checks?

I can't remember exactly but somewhere around 48K.

wasted wrote:btw the pic of Honda Life makes our FREED looks so Macho! farao
PS: or izzit due to the colour? geek

This was the colour they gave me. It looked very girly. flower I saw some others on the road in blue and black that looked much better!
Satyr

Back to top Go down

Post by nickf601 on Sat 16 Apr 2011, 8:46 am

bro Satyr, in Singapore unless you car need to repair more than 3 days they will provide a replacement car with similiar CC capacity (this depend if your car insurance include this benefit).

If one day repair, it will be you problem to source for transport.... At least, Jpn Honda workshop provide some mean of transport to you which I think very good service .. what color should be OK because it is just a temporary one. ... my 2cts
nickf601

Back to top Go down

Post by Satyr on Sat 16 Apr 2011, 9:31 am

nickf601 wrote:At least, Jpn Honda workshop provide some mean of transport to you which I think very good service .. what color should be OK because it is just a temporary one. ... my 2cts

Yeah, I agree. It wasn't such a bad car. It was new with only 800kms on the clock. Shocked

I only think that it was weak compared to our mighty Freed! Cool

I didn't mean to upset Honda Life lovers. Crying or Very sad
Satyr

Back to top Go down

Post by nickf601 on Sat 16 Apr 2011, 11:17 am

Satyr bro, u keep about 3 year and change car ? Cheaper to change to new one , need maintain more costly? Btw how to own one freed in Jpn? Sin$ 18,000?
nickf601

Back to top Go down

Post by Satyr on Sun 17 Apr 2011, 11:24 pm

nickf601 wrote:Satyr bro, u keep about 3 year and change car ? Cheaper to change to new one , need maintain more costly? Btw how to own one freed in Jpn? Sin$ 18,000?

I think I'll be keeping my car for more than three years before changing. It only really becomes expensive for cars over 10 years old. Once your car hits 10 years old, you have to pay an extra 10% every year for registration and insurance costs. If your car was 20 years old, you'd be paying 100% extra than if it was 9 years old!

I don't really think the cost of maintaining Hondas is really very high. They seem pretty reliable in my experience.

I just checked Freed prices on a 2nd hand car website. The average price seems to be around SGD$22,500 - SGD$24,000 with the lowest prices (around SGD$18,000) being for cars that have been repaired after an accident. Not worth the risk for me.
A brand new Gi Aero will set you back about SGD$37,000. affraid
Satyr

Back to top Go down

Post by DADDYCOOL on Mon 18 Apr 2011, 12:26 am

i do hope that i can drive my FREED for a very long time...

at worst, will just change to the latest edition of FREED!
Twisted Evil

PS: my wish is to pass on the ride to my kids!
to borrow a quote... "You never actually own a Honda FREED. You merely take care of it for the next generation."

DADDYCOOL

Back to top Go down

Post by nickf601 on Mon 18 Apr 2011, 4:56 pm

Satyr wrote:
nickf601 wrote:Satyr bro, u keep about 3 year and change car ? Cheaper to change to new one , need maintain more costly? Btw how to own one freed in Jpn? Sin$ 18,000?

I think I'll be keeping my car for more than three years before changing. It only really becomes expensive for cars over 10 years old. Once your car hits 10 years old, you have to pay an extra 10% every year for registration and insurance costs. If your car was 20 years old, you'd be paying 100% extra than if it was 9 years old!

I don't really think the cost of maintaining Hondas is really very high. They seem pretty reliable in my experience.

I just checked Freed prices on a 2nd hand car website. The average price seems to be around SGD$22,500 - SGD$24,000 with the lowest prices (around SGD$18,000) being for cars that have been repaired after an accident. Not worth the risk for me.
A brand new Gi Aero will set you back about SGD$37,000. affraid

The price of ownership in Jpn quite similar to Indonesia.. Thnks for the info .
nickf601

Back to top Go down

Post by sevenseaters on Wed 20 Apr 2011, 1:56 pm

Dear Bro,

This is update for today 20/4/11

I have received a call from my PI (Jia Leong) that they refer me to another workshop at Kaki Bukit. cheers

For this, again, i believe the systems are working in Singapore
As i shared earlier, i sent letter to LTA and owner of Jia Leong, and it resulted a good response (if not a good news)

So here i go again, appointment for the next workshop fruitful saga

i keep update with the news

So stay tune Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by nickf601 on Wed 20 Apr 2011, 3:44 pm

Well done sevenseaters
nickf601

Back to top Go down

Post by hooray_fun on Wed 20 Apr 2011, 4:41 pm

Bro 7seater where is e workshop huh? My office nearby. Maybe can meet up kopi if my schedule permits. I got letters fr PI also directing me to MBM. I no hurry lei. Wait n see see 1st. I sure hope to get a replacement instead.
hooray_fun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top